Benefits of Galasa
It is estimated that 80% of all enterprise testing is manual. Imagine how much faster you could deploy applications if you could automate a significant proportion of this.
Automated testing and agile delivery are traditionally seen as being available only in greenfield projects, but with the introduction of Galasa, you can be agile in a mainframe environment as well.
Why automate with Galasa?
- A great fit for automating a wide set of test techniques including golden path, variation and load tests. However, its biggest benefit is that it can be used to create integration level tests.
- Enables you to run tests across a hybrid cloud application from a single test class.
- Provides the capability to test a range of interfaces from traditional 3270 terminals through to REST, mobile and browser-based tests.
Enables unique, deep integration with z/OS and can be used with other test tools, enabling tests to aggregate information from a range of sources.
Testing without limitations
Testing an endpoint, whether it be a 3270 terminal, a REST API or a web service is a simple operation and there are plenty of tools that enable you to accomplish this task. However, there are limitations to some of these tools:
- The tests cannot utilize a mix of technologies. For example, let’s say you need to examine an IBM CICS or a z/OS resource to validate that the response from the REST endpoint you are testing is correct. How can the test get this information without the tester understanding how to access it?
- Most of the tools require some level of manual operation which limits their effectiveness in a continuous delivery pipeline
- The tools cannot contextually bind to either a provisioned, or pre-existing environment in an intelligent manner.
Galasa makes it simple for a test to access, drive and interrogate a range of z/OS, distributed and open source tools and integrate them together within the same simple test class.
Tests written for Galasa can be run locally on your computer for manual debugging or can be scheduled to run on a server in automation mode - great for overnight runs or when you need to run tests in parallel or at scale.
Key benefits of using the Galasa test framework
Smooth integration with the rest of your pipeline:
- A single API runs any test regardless of underlying technology.
- Tests can be dynamically selected from a catalog.
- Environment stability is assured before tests are run.
- Test results can be monitored automatically.
A single point of control:
- Test artifacts are centrally stored and indexed.
- Test results are correlated, ensuring the quality of the release for all product components.
- This is a single control for allocation and management of resources and tests.
- Late binding of the test material to the system under test allows the same test to run against multiple environments without changing the test.
- Tests scale horizontally without changing the underlying test code.
- Management of test isolation means that multiple tests can run in parallel, logically isolated by the framework.
- Tests can be run against multiple environments as code progresses through release stages.
The Galasa test engine allows tests to run locally for easier development and debugging, as well as in the Galasa ecosystem for production testing at scale.